Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Get comfortable being Uncomfortable

I have not been feeling well lately, but I was determined to get outside & run today. It was 60 degrees in Chicago, in January!! AMAZING! The only bad thing is, that it was super cloudy & I could tell it was going to rain when I stepped out to run. I was hoping that I could get in a good 6-7 mile run before the rain came, but that didn't happen. I got to mile 2 & I started to feel some drops and THEN! It began to down pour. I literally felt like I was running in the shower. It rained harder & harder, my feet were soaking wet, the rain was going through my pants & even through my 3 layers on top. Let me tell you, VERY uncomfortable!

SOAKED!!

At first the rain didn't bother me. I enjoyed it, there is something primal about running outside in the rain. Who didn't go outside & play in the rain growing up?! It's something we loved, something different, something new & exciting. I think it's sad that as we get older, we reach for the umbrella, run to our cars, or stay safe in our houses. I mean, I know I'm guilty of it...but I loved getting out there today, to run in the elements. To be honest, I DIDN'T totally enjoy the whole time I was getting soaked, b/c that kind of stuff weighs you down, but it didn't stop me. Eventually the rain let up & I'm sad I didn't go for my goal of 6-7 miles, I ended at 5.

I felt like this thought process, could apply to us, as Americans. We have no reason in our every day lives, to be uncomfortable. We have abundant food supplies, we don't have to be hungry. Our lives are totally climate controlled (which don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for our house to be 80 degrees all of the time), we can go from our warm beds, to our warm cars, to our warm offices, back to our cars, then back home & back to bed. 

Well, I think it's time we start doing something new, something outside of our comfort zones.What have you done lately that was uncomfortable? It is only outside of our comfort zone that we are stretched, taken beyond our limits to learn new things, to experience new things. It could look different for everyone, it could be talking to someone new, trying a new food, start volunteering in a ministry, or even doing a new work out! :) I think it's so valuable to get uncomfortable some times, to connect to new people, new things, or even to discover new abilities/passions inside of ourselves.




3 comments:

  1. I totally want to run in the rain now;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Amy!! DO IT!! It's definitely a different experience :) Also, I forgot to respond to your question about the paleo diet & acne. I have struggled with acne too & it has cleared up my face a lot, although I still got hormonal zits while eating clean :/ I recently saw a friend who I haven't seen since beginning the challenge & she said my skin looked great & I was glowing..so that's probably a pretty high recommendation right there.

    ReplyDelete