Monday, January 7, 2013

Update on Whole30 & other thoughts

Oh how I've missed my bloggity blog! I was super busy this weekend preparing for my twin daughter's Hello Kitty birthday party :) It was a GREAT ending to the holidays & now I can sit back & relax as we settle back into the routine of life.

Let's talk the Whole30 Challenge, friends, this is TOUGH! However, I am loving it as well as struggling with it. This weekend, when I was so busy, were those dreaded days of detox where I was SUPER irritable & just feeling crummy. I don't think it helped that on the day of setting up I only ate 500 calories :/ I was NOT happy when I saw that in myfitnesspal, where I am logging my food, I actually got kind of scared b/c I DON'T want to starve myself, that is not the point of this challenge. The point of following the Whole30 Challenge is to renew the way you eat & to eat healthier & whole foods.

Anyhow, I got through those rough days and am starting to feel AMAZING!! I am SO happy to be over the hump & able to enjoy making new foods. I am also enjoying the fact that I am more in tune with my body. I ran this morning & only had a salad (with some chicken) for lunch, so I grabbed a handful of cashews, full of fat & protein, to get me through the afternoon. I am also playing in the kitchen more, I worked with cauliflower yesterday. I made faux fried rice & faux mashed potatoes. The potatoes were NOT a hit, my husband took one bite & wouldn't eat anymore & my kids saw his reaction so they didn't EVEN try it LOL I am dairy free due to the challenge, so I used coconut oil & coconut milk to make the texture more potato-like & it did end up pretty sweet. I can see how if you used butter & "real" milk it would taste better.

Onto something I am even MORE excited to talk about :) I heard a WONDERFUL story on the radio today. A woman who called in had lost over 100 pounds last year, the DJs asked her how she did it & she said that she just ate right & exercised. Sorry folks, there are no quick fixes, it really does take hard work & discipline. Anyways, she said that a friend of hers had started a Facebook group where they would log in their exercise every day AND they would have to post something amazing about themselves. Isn't that what I've been talking about?!?! I actually started crying when I heard her say that b/c I was so happy & excited that there are other people out there who think like me! And that it WORKS!! I am overjoyed to see people going from hating & loathing their bodies to doing something GOOD for them b/c they appreciate & love their bodies :)

Please make no mistake I am not AT ALL talking about worshiping our bodies.Let's keep God in His rightful place, on the throne. I am not talking about idolatry at all. Rather the motivation behind thinking positively about ourselves & appreciating the things that our bodies CAN do (which is different for everyone). I was thinking about how hurt & upset I am when my kids look at a good, healthy, nourishing meal that I spend time creating & they turn up their noses & say "ew, it looks GROSS", in some small way, the hurt I feel is perhaps how our God feels when we say the same thing about ourselves. He spent time knitting us together in our mother's womb, He delights in the way that He created us & moreover, He LOVES us!! Therefore, I think that we should appreciate the way that He made us & say thank you & appreciate the way that He made us.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a great analogy!

    Good for you to sticking with it! I always go through a couple days of frustration when I first start a new eating plan because my body is adjusting, but then after those first couple of days I feel amazing and wonder why it took me so long to get back into it! lol

    Looking forward to hearing more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete