Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Whole30 Challenge

I went a little crazy yesterday & decided to do the Whole30 Challenge. It's basically following the strictest form of Paleo eating that you can have for 30 days. No dairy, no sugar, no starches, no legumes, no grains, black coffee, etc etc. I did a "paleo" diet way back in October/November of 2011, but it was modified. I actually really love the Paleo diet, but I find that I stick to diets better if they're low carb rather than no carb, but whatever, the challenge is for 30 days & I can do it!! :) I'm really excited, I bought the book & a Paleo cookbook & I am going to go gung ho!! Wish me luck :) (here's the link to the challenge if any of this sounds of interest to you! Whole30 Challenge )

I am drawn to the Paleo diet because it goes back to the way people ate long ago. I actually don't believe in evolution, but the premise is to eat "like cavemen". LOL So you eat a lot of protein, veggies, some fruits (berries are best) and strict/hard core paleo includes things like no dairy & no grains, but like I said before, you can modify the diet to fit your personal needs (ie. if you have allergies or just how your body best processes food), so I would keep in small amounts of dairy (I gotta have my greek yogurt!) & small amounts of carbs, if I were to do it my way which I will be doing after the challenge.

Today I tried to eat as Paleo as I could, but we haven't gone grocery shopping in awhile & I don't have my Whole30 book yet, so I basically stuck to no carbs. I did have a greek yogurt this morning, which would not be right for the challenge, but I'm trying to do my best with what I have at the moment. My whole goal with doing the challenge is to make a radical change in the way I eat. I've been eating junk lately just b/c I'm too lazy to try to make anything for dinner & I really want that to change. I am TIRED of pizza & I want to eat nourishing foods that will really help my body rather than hinder it. My goal this year is to work on my body composition. I wouldn't mind losing some weight, but my main goal is to lose fat & build muscle. I could care less about being skinny, I want to be STRONG, with muscle definition.

I also got a workout in today!! I am really proud of myself b/c this morning didn't start out that great. I was up twice with my son last night, so when my alarm went off at 6:15 to run, I turned it off & went back to bed. I was just too exhausted from New Year's festivities (STILL!) to push through & run anyway. I was able to do a Jillian Michael's DVD while the kids napped. Here's me after my first workout of the new year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment